[TIP] os-independent file paths

Andrea Crotti andrea.crotti.0 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 05:22:12 PST 2011

Testing functions which work on the file system I would like to be able
to use some paths, both on Windows and on Linux.

Now the problem is that paths are different on the two platforms, so my
ideas was to have something like

def unix_to_independent_path(unixpath):
     return path.join(*unixpath.split('/'))

And import it where needed as
import utils.unix_to_independent_path as _

to use like
_('/very/long/path/')

The problem is that the function doesn't really work for example for
unix absolute paths
/very/long/path -> very/long/path.

And in general how would that path convert to a Windows path anyway?

So I guess I should only use relative paths, does it make sense?