[TIP] coverage.py input file

Alfredo Deza alfredodeza at gmail.com
Thu Aug 4 07:46:18 PDT 2011

On Thu, Aug 4, 2011 at 9:59 AM, Ned Batchelder <ned at nedbatchelder.com>wrote:

>  Programmatically, there's
> coverage.coverage(data_file="/path/to/datafile"), and in the configuration
> file, there's "[run] data_file=/path/to/datafile".  Is there another way you
> need to specify it?
>
> --Ned

It would be nice to have `data_file` to be exposed so I could pass it in via
the command line.

The problem with using the configuration file is that this is not something
static. Different projects in different directories have .coverage files
that
I am interested in.

I still think that better than a command line option would be that coverage
can crawl up until it finds a .coverage file to report on it (if there is
none in the
current directory). That way is automatic and you don't really need to be
thinking about where you are and where was coverage run from.

But that is a design decision and you will probably have your own thoughts
on this.

My case scenario still holds though: "I'm several directories in and want to
check the coverage report but it comes empty. So I have to go up until I am
in the same directory where the .coverage file is."

-Alfredo