[TIP] A tool to guess what tests to run given a diff?

Eduardo Schettino schettino72 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 10 07:49:26 PDT 2011

On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 4:15 AM, Kumar McMillan <kumar.mcmillan at gmail.com> wrote:
> My search-foo is failing but I thought there was a post on TIP or
> mention somewhere in the community about a tool that can be used to
> guess what tests to run based on a diff.  Does this ring a bell?  For
> a very large test suite I'd like to take my current diff that affects
> unknown parts of the system and figure out which tests I should run.
> This obviously would never be 100% accurate but it might serve as a
> quick spot check before pushing to a continuous integration server
> that will run the whole entire suite.  Slow tests are not fun.

I use doit (http://python-doit.sourceforge.net/) to achieve something
like that.
But it can be used at module level, checking for changes at modules
not on functions.

It is not an out of the box test runner. So you need to define what
are the dependencies
and call your test runner by yourself...

cheers,
  Eduardo