[TIP] Python GUI testing

Mark Sienkiewicz sienkiew at stsci.edu
Mon Apr 4 14:26:36 PDT 2011

Geoff Bache wrote:
> - the graphical aspect makes it very tied to particular environments,
> so you can't change theme or window manager, and our UI needs to work
> in multiple environments.

I think that the tradeoff of this system.  If you want to test in
multiple GUI environments, you need to provide the picture snippets for
each environment.

In spite of this drawback, it can still be a net win if you don't have
some better mechanism to get into the system.  Or even if you do, it
could complement other test mechanisms because it works the same way the
user does -- it looks at the screen and interacts with what it sees.

I don't think that necessarily makes it the preferred mechanism to
interact with anything, but I can see how there would be times when it
would be useful.

> - it didn't handle invisible regions, i.e. anything requiring
> scrolling or tabbing didn't work.

I was assuming you would need to first make it click on the tab or the
scroll bar to find the relevant part of the GUI.  One function I would
really want is "click on that scroll bar until you see this thing".

Mark