[TIP] Python GUI testing

Nagappan Alagappan nagappan at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 15:09:09 PDT 2011

Hello Geoff,

We @VMware use LDTP [1] for GUI automation in Linux, Solaris. Here is a
catch though ! the app should run in GNOME environment (GTK / Java Swing /
OpenOffice / XUL) with accessibility in place.

As Paul mentioned it doesn't work on QT environment, but there is some work
in progress [2].

Thanks
Nagappan

[1] - http://ldtp.freedesktop.org
[2] - http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tutorials/Accessibility#Qt_AT-SPI

On Fri, Apr 1, 2011 at 2:54 PM, Paul Hildebrandt <
Paul.Hildebrandt at disneyanimation.com> wrote:

> We use GUI testing for our internal applications.  We adhere to the testing
> pyramid and only using it sparingly but it's handy.  The only thing I could
> find that would handle PyQT is Squish so that is what we use.   I wanted to
> use LDTP but they don't support PyQT right now.
>

> On 04/01/2011 01:35 PM, Geoff Bache wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I was about to post an announcement about a new release of my Python
>> GUI test tool PyUseCase but then thought that previous ones haven't
>> generated any response so I would ask a question instead. You can
>> always read the announcement on python-announce...
>>
>> Does anyone here write GUIs (rich clients) in Python at all? More to
>> the point, does anyone attempt to do any testing through the GUI or
>> are you happy just testing the underlying layers?
>>
>> There don't seem to be too many Python GUI test tools around. I wonder
>> why this is?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Geoff

Linux Desktop (GUI Application) Testing Project -
http://ldtp.freedesktop.org
http://nagappanal.blogspot.com