[TIP] Python GUI testing

Gary Bernhardt gary.bernhardt at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 14:19:10 PDT 2011

I once wrote a test suite for a large thick client app in Python. The
tests used appscript to drive the app out-of-process. It was the most
pleasant full-stack testing experience I've ever had.

I didn't feel the need for any specialized tools; I just wrote the
tests in Nose, with a small library that exposed application-relevant
abstractions on top of appscript.

On Fri, Apr 1, 2011 at 1:35 PM, Geoff Bache <geoff.bache at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I was about to post an announcement about a new release of my Python
> GUI test tool PyUseCase but then thought that previous ones haven't
> generated any response so I would ask a question instead. You can
> always read the announcement on python-announce...
>
> Does anyone here write GUIs (rich clients) in Python at all? More to
> the point, does anyone attempt to do any testing through the GUI or
> are you happy just testing the underlying layers?
>
> There don't seem to be too many Python GUI test tools around. I wonder
> why this is?
>
> Regards,
> Geoff

Gary