[TIP] unittest2.util

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Mon Sep 27 13:54:24 PDT 2010

  On 27/09/2010 19:47, Matthew Woodcraft wrote:
> Michael Foord<fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk>  wrote:
>> Which functions [in unittest.util] are you interested in? If they are
>> non-trivial and generally useful or necessary then I can export them
>> at the top level. Importing from the top level allows me to move
>> things around without breaking your code.
> There are two things I'm using.
>
> First, safe_str (or safe_repr).
They're so trivial it would be better to reimplement than reuse. :-)

> But I think what I'd really like here is
> for something like TestCase._formatMessage to be public: it seems to me
> that pretty much anyone writing a custom TypeEqualityFunc is going to
> want this facility, and it's bit of a shame to have to reimplement it.

Ok - that's a reasonable request. Can you raise an issue for it?

https://code.google.com/p/unittest-ext/issues/list

> The other is unorderable_list_difference.
That's in unittest in Python 2.7 - so I doubt it will be removed /
moved. :-)

> In this case, I think what I'd
> really like is a (variant of) assertItemsEqual which always uses the
> form of output it chooses for 'unsortable' items, as I find it's usually
> easier for me to read. (I see there's a sorted_list_difference in util
> too. Is that used for anything?)
I don't understand what you mean by this. What are you trying to compare
and why is the output not good enough?

Hmmm... sorted_list_difference is not used anymore, in fact I'm not sure
why it was in a released version of Python in the first place. There was
a variant of these in Python 3.1, but they were buggy and improved. I
wouldn't rely on sorted_list_difference continuing to exist - it should
be deprecated and removed.

Michael