[TIP] Coming changes to unittest2 plugins

holger krekel holger at merlinux.eu
Mon Sep 27 12:42:43 PDT 2010

On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 19:19 -0000, exarkun at twistedmatrix.com wrote:
>> packaging meta data is for consumption of tools.  For example, i want  to
>> write one that converts a newstyle setup.cfg into an oldstyle setup.py.
>
> What transformation do you need to perform on an arbitrary, application-
> specified fully qualified Python name?  In general you can't know
> anything about it, whether it has a ":" in it or not.

Wrong. The ":" carries information.  For example, if we have:

    [global]
    script-entry-points =
        somescript = testpath.to:some.function

we can easily generate an oldstyle setup.py from it:

    setup(entry_points={'somescript': 'testpath.to:some.function'}, ...)

without having to load live objects.  The dotted name does
not allow that and thus carries less information.

holger