[TIP] Coming changes to unittest2 plugins

holger krekel holger at merlinux.eu
Mon Sep 27 08:36:47 PDT 2010

Hi Tarek, Michael,

On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 16:47 +0200, Tarek Ziadé wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 4:33 PM, Michael Foord <michael at voidspace.org.uk> wrote:
>
> > package.module:Class

The advantage of this notation is that it's explicit and clear what
is the module part and what is the object ...

> > I hate the colon but it is how entry points do it *anyway*. Function based
> > plugins will still be possible, but will *require* an initialization
> > function that takes the hook set.
>
> Minor nitpick: I don't think you need a colon here. After some
> discussion we are dropping it in distutils2 in all places where we
> point code, since it's easy to find which part is the module and which
> part is not when configuring a code location.
>
> see distutils2.util.resolve_name()

whereas this helper requires to import the actual package.

I'd rather like to be able to derive as much information from
the static distutils2 metadata as possible.  Concretely, using
"a.b.c" notation for entry points would make it harder to write
a tool that takes setup.cfg and generates a setuptools-compliant
setup.py. Or am i missing something?

best,
holger