[TIP] Python Design Patterns Question

Sarvi Shanmgham sarvi at cisco.com
Fri Sep 24 09:15:27 PDT 2010

Hi
    My problem space is to test emedded systems.
Or standlone processes on Virtual Machine.
In general entities that have well defined external interfaces that I want
to exercises.

Python is my language of choice, ofourse.
Its good as a general purpose language and has a lot of design patterns and
idioms that allow for simple, compact and readable writing of general
algorithms.
But I am not sure how they apply for testing design patterns.

I¹ve been looking for good design patterns in python for testing.

So far as I have seen TTCN-3, explained below has some very good design
patterns for testing scenarios

TTCN-3 - A new Test Specification Language for Black-Box Testing
<http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CBgQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F
%2Fciteseerx.ist.psu.edu%2Fviewdoc%2Fdownload%3Fdoi%3D10.1.1.59.1521%26rep%3
Drep1%26type%3Dpdf&rct=j&q=TTCN-3%20alt&ei=G8icTKD9OpK2sAPn5rjVAQ&usg=AFQjCN
GGxZ4rjZ091jg5IXYAKl4hP9Z4iw&sig2=h_4yveDAhE_Aw8nvfsECJw>

What is the best way to write these things in python.
Is there python framework/library that enhances the experience.

Some thinks in TTCN-3 that I like is
1. The ³ALT² behaviour. Section 9 above has some variations
2. Template Matching as in 4.3

Another way asking the question is, What would be the best
way/design-pattern to write the following test case in python
http://www.site.uottawa.ca/~bernard/SOAP_client.ttcn3

Thx
Sarvi