[TIP] unittest version info

Julien Jehannet julien at smaf.org
Thu Sep 9 04:07:48 PDT 2010

Hello TIP,

In order to move old testlib assertion methods to new (standard)
unittest2 incarnations, I would retrieve unittest info installed
in my system.

But I can't find any attribute to rely on. And __version__ was quite
confusing at the moment.

	% python2.5 -c 'import unittest; print unittest.__version__'
	1.63

	% PYTHONPATH=unittest2 python2.5 -c 'import unittest2 as unittest; print unittest.__version__'
	0.6.0 alpha (plugins branch)

	% python3.1  -c 'import unittest; unittest.__version__'
	Traceback (most recent call last):
	  File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
	AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute '__version__'

Is there a standard way to detect unittest flavour ?

If not yet, may I suggest to have similar convention that the sys module¹ ?
- a __version__ string module attribute (which should be >2.X IMO)
- but also a __version_info__ tuple containing the separated fields
	__version_info__ = tuple([int(num) for num in __version__.split('.')])
  The only interest here is to ease version comparaison afterwards.

Note: maybe it can be worth to follow PEP-0386² for string version
convention (i.e. no space for example)

Best Regards,

¹ http://docs.python.org/library/sys.html#sys.version_info
² http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0386/