[TIP] Testify

holger krekel holger at merlinux.eu
Sat Oct 30 05:58:32 PDT 2010

Hi Rhett,

On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 14:36 -0700, Rhett Garber wrote:
> Just found out about this mailing list. I thought you all might be
> interested in a testing framework we developed here at Yelp.

Same as Ned i'd like to encourage you to not feel discouraged too much :)
All the criticisers here are nice guys and have contributed
to improving Testing with Python sometimes by re-inventing the wheel
themselves, much as myself being the original author of py.test :-)

> >From the blog post http://engineeringblog.yelp.com/2010/10/now-testify.html
>
> "Testify provides:
>
>   * PEP8 naming conventions. No more setUp()

I like that as it aligns with my original motviations when i started
a new test tool :)

>   * Less java-like dependencies on class methods for things like
> assertions. Down with self.assertEqual()

Same here. You solve that by a general "from testify import *" and
providing all the methods as globals.

>   * Enhanced test fixture setup. Multiple setup/teardown methods.
> Class and module level fixtures.
>
>   * Test discovery

the commandline runner does not seem to allow specifying filenames, right?
When working from the shell, that's very convenient i think.

>   * Flexible, decorator based suite system.

Decorator-code itself also shows up in tracebacks, i think usually one doesn't
want to see that.

>   * Fancy color test runner with lots of logging / reporting options
> (JSON anyone?)

Is there coloring besides in the summary line?

>   * Split test suites into buckets for easy parallelization

That i'd like to hear a bit more about.

>   * Built-in utilities for common operations like building mocks,
> profiling, and measuring code coverage.
>   * Plugin system for hooking in whatever extra features you like.
>   * Mostly backwards compatible with unittest test cases.
>
>   * A cool name."

Apart from the last point, i think all other testing tools and frameworks
provide similar features plus some more.   So maybe you want to merge
with one of the other efforts?   Sidenote: if you like to look into py.test
some more, i recommend to use the ongoing soon-to-be-released new
documentation:

    http://codespeak.net/~hpk/pytest

cheers,
holger