[TIP] Testify

Marius Gedminas marius at gedmin.as
Fri Oct 29 16:37:36 PDT 2010

On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 02:36:39PM -0700, Rhett Garber wrote:
> Just found out about this mailing list. I thought you all might be
> interested in a testing framework we developed here at Yelp.
>
> >From the blog post http://engineeringblog.yelp.com/2010/10/now-testify.html
> Comments or suggestions would be very welcome.

The blog post says nose and unittest2 didn't meet your needs, but
doesn't say what those needs are.  Also, you didn't mention py.test,
have you looked at it at all?

I like the --buckets idea.  I'd once implemented a similar, but more
limited idea: --odd/--even options for splitting the tests into two sets
and running them in parallel on my dual-core laptop.  It worked quite
well.

"from testify import *" makes me frown.  Actually, the whole idea of
"here's yet another Python testing framework, incompatible with all
other Python testing frameworks" makes me sad.

Marius Gedminas
--
Hacking graphics in X is like finding sqrt(pi) with roman numerals.
        -- man xdaliclock