[TIP] Green and Red bars

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Thu Oct 21 07:52:09 PDT 2010

  On 21/10/2010 15:46, Olemis Lang wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 6:42 AM, Alexandre Fayolle
> <alexandre.fayolle at logilab.fr>  wrote:
>> On Saturday 09 October 2010 22:37:10 Natalia Bidart wrote:
>>> Hello List!
>>>
>>> First of all, I'll introduce myself: I'm Natalia, I live in Argentina
>>> and I've been following the list since PyCon USA 2010. I must confess
>>> that back then I loved Michael's and Ned's talks, and (mainly) because
>>> of them I joined the list.
>>>
>>> The reason of my writing is that I'll be giving a talk about Testing
>>> at PyCon Argentina 2010, which will take place next October 15th and
>>> 16th, and I need some input from you all. I'm very fond to the concept
>>> of "getting a green bar" (ergo also to the concept of "red bar"), but
>>> I'm finding some problems on actually getting a *green* or *red* bar
>>> using the unittest runner.
>>>
> [...]
>> The original pyunit shipped with a tkinter gui (unittestgui) with the
>> green/red bar. It has not made it to the standard library, but is still
>> available in the python-unit package in Debian.
>>
>> See http://pyunit.sourceforge.net/ for sourcecode, screenshots, etc.
>>
>> Porting to unittest2 should not be too complicated.
>>
> What's the source of incompatibility ?
>
> Is it that unittest2 test suites are different to legacy unittest's ?
> Or is it about the test runner ?

You'd need to *tell it* to use the unittest2 runner at least. ;-)

Plus it won't know anything about skips or expected failures. That may
not be an issue though. Changing it to import from unittest2 rather than
unittest would *probably* be enough. unittest itself (on which unittest2
is built) has changed a great deal since that code was written though...

Michael

--

http://www.voidspace.org.uk/

READ CAREFULLY. By accepting and reading this email you agree,
on behalf of your employer, to release me from all obligations
and waivers arising from any and all NON-NEGOTIATED agreements,
licenses, terms-of-service, shrinkwrap, clickwrap, browsewrap,
confidentiality, non-disclosure, non-compete and acceptable use
policies (”BOGUS AGREEMENTS”) that I have entered into with your
employer, its partners, licensors, agents and assigns, in
perpetuity, without prejudice to my ongoing rights and privileges.
You further represent that you have the authority to release me
from any BOGUS AGREEMENTS on behalf of your employer.