[TIP] Green and Red bars

Olemis Lang olemis at gmail.com
Fri Oct 15 07:54:33 PDT 2010

On Sat, Oct 9, 2010 at 3:37 PM, Natalia Bidart <nataliabidart at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello List!

Hi Natalia !

> First of all, I'll introduce myself: I'm Natalia, I live in Argentina
> and I've been following the list since PyCon USA 2010. I must confess
> that back then I loved Michael's and Ned's talks, and (mainly) because
> of them I joined the list.

Good to know that we have more subscribers from Latin American countries ...

> The reason of my writing is that I'll be giving a talk about Testing
> at PyCon Argentina 2010,

(and also that PyCon Ar is still active :o) .

> which will take place next October 15th and
> 16th, and I need some input from you all. I'm very fond to the concept
> of "getting a green bar" (ergo also to the concept of "red bar"), but
> I'm finding some problems on actually getting a *green* or *red* bar
> using the unittest runner.
>
> What do I mean? I mean that I want colors! Not because they are nice
> to watch, but because they are a great, easily and understandable
> indicator of how good or bad things are, and because we can easily
> detect whether we're at a point when we need to add some code to make
> a test pass, or even better we're in shape to add another test.

There are many ways to get what you want , so best solution depends in
what you want to do . If you talk about an soft dev enterprise where
visibility and other things are important, you should consider setting
up a CI infrastructure (many messages you got so far).

If you are talking about the lonely dev that sits under the tree to
code his favorite tools with friends & beer (waiting for his own apple
to fall BTW) then a simple GUI, desktop app may be enough .
Suggestions :

http://pyunit.sourceforge.net/pyunit.html#GUI
http://pyunit.sourceforge.net/unittestgui.html
http://homepage.hispeed.ch/py430/python/unittestgui.py

But probably you talk about those all-in-one devs that program in
Java, .NET, Py, ... and thus prefer a full featured IDE. In that case
either Eclipse (PyDev plugin), NetBeans, and other similar softw
provide integrated test runners and options | templates to create test
modules & so on ...

It's up to you to choose . However if you plan to talk about the
subject you may want to mention all the options so that people in the
audience will be able to choose ;o)

PS: The only way to get a built-in GUI runner in the future should be
by implementing one based on Tkinter and stdlib GUI packages
(otherwise it'll be a third-party module due to dependencies, like one
those shown above, which relies on wxPython ;o)

--
Regards,

Olemis.

Blog ES: http://simelo-es.blogspot.com/