[TIP] Best practices to maintain packages in CI environment

Marius Gedminas marius at gedmin.as
Sun Oct 10 12:55:14 PDT 2010

On Sun, Oct 10, 2010 at 07:13:51PM +0100, Michael Foord wrote:
>  On 10/10/2010 19:09, Marius Gedminas wrote:
> >On Fri, Oct 08, 2010 at 04:50:54PM +0200, Alex wrote:
> >>Our continous integration server (Hudson) controls several slave
> >>machines (VM), each of which runs Python. Whenever a new package is
> >>needed, I have to manually install the package in each slave and it's
> >>very convenient since now I have 20 of them. I've thought of using
> >>'virtualenv' but it dramatically increases the build time when the
> >>number of pacakge is large. What are the best approaches to deploy and
> >>maintain these pacakges (version) in a build/testing farm ?
> >virtualenv or zc.buildout.
>
> So your answer to the original poster's difficulty with virtualenv
> is to suggest virtualenv?

No; I'm answering the question "What are the best approaches to deploy and
maintain these packages (version) in a build/testing farm?".  By listing
virtualenv I'm implying that many people did not find it problematic in
this context the way the OP did, without going into greater detail
(since the other subthread already did so).

(Yeah, I don't think I'm very good at this communicating with human
people thing.)

Marius Gedminas
--
EMACS is a good OS.  The only thing it lacks is a decent text-editor.