[TIP] Green and Red bars

Alfredo Deza alfredodeza at gmail.com
Sun Oct 10 11:10:58 PDT 2010

On Sun, Oct 10, 2010 at 11:03 AM, Natalia Bidart <nataliabidart at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 9, 2010 at 9:25 PM, Ned Batchelder <ned at nedbatchelder.com>
> wrote:
> >  Hi Natalia,
> >
> > I understand wanting to keep things simple for the newbs, but it looks
> like
> > there's a plugin for nose that does what you want:
> > http://pypi.python.org/pypi/rudolf/
> >
> > I think introducing nose is a good idea even for beginners, because it
> > simplifies writing tests.  Without nose, you have to build suites, with
> > nose, you can skip all that code.
>
> Hi Ned,
>
> Thanks for your answer. I was planning avoiding all the suite writing
> by using the unittest (and unit2 in python2.6) discover utility, that
> way the audience can have an easy way of running their suites without
> having an extra dep. But yes, it may be a good idea to show nose, so
> I'll make that happen.

I didn't suggested it because you mentioned a pure unittest solution but
since you are considering
nose, I would strongly suggest at least looking at py.test

You do not need any plugins for colored output....

If you run it in verbose mode:

    py.test -v

You will see green "PASS" and/or red "FAIL" right next to the path of the
test and the method/function name.

-Alfredo