[TIP] Best practices to maintain packages in CI environment

Marius Gedminas marius at gedmin.as
Sun Oct 10 11:09:24 PDT 2010

On Fri, Oct 08, 2010 at 04:50:54PM +0200, Alex wrote:
> Our continous integration server (Hudson) controls several slave
> machines (VM), each of which runs Python. Whenever a new package is
> needed, I have to manually install the package in each slave and it's
> very convenient since now I have 20 of them. I've thought of using
> 'virtualenv' but it dramatically increases the build time when the
> number of pacakge is large. What are the best approaches to deploy and
> maintain these pacakges (version) in a build/testing farm ?

virtualenv or zc.buildout.

Buildout is more featureful, but also more complicated and thus harder
to learn/maintain.  Some of its features, e.g. the shared egg cache, are
very nifty if you need to set up dev environments for a bunch of
packages that share some of their dependencies.

Marius Gedminas
--
Committee, n.:
        A group of men who individually can do nothing but as a group