[TIP] Capture HTTP traffic

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Thu Nov 4 10:40:01 PDT 2010

On 04/11/2010 17:32, Ronny Pfannschmidt wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-11-04 at 17:03 +0100, Alex wrote:
>> 2010/11/3 Olemis Lang<olemis at gmail.com>:
>>> Probably I didn't understand your original question . If that's the
>>> case , please tell so that we can refine the answer .
>> I am writing the test of a C++ application. I have access the C++
>> source code but prefer not to alter it.
>>
>> 2010/11/3 Olemis Lang<olemis at gmail.com>:
>>> Fiddler : A really good proxy for dev-ing with scripting
>>>                support (Python ?) , pause , stop , replay ,
>>>                request builder, plugin system,
>>>                programmatic API ... for Windows
>>>                AFAIK (if you find a -multiplatform ?-
>>>                FOSS alternative please let me know)
>> This is what I am trying but not yet have a conclusion.
>>
>>> wsgi_intercept : To intercept HTTP requests
>>> twill | mechanize : For high-level HTTP commands (and more ...)
>> The target to be tested is a C++ application, so  Python tools like
>> wsgi_intercept, twill, mechanize do not apply.
>>
>>> Integrating pycap is really not trivial, IMO .
>> That's why I am looking for some alternatives here.
>>
>> 2010/11/3 C. Titus Brown<ctb at msu.edu>:
>>> you could write a simple HTTP server of your own, and run it in another
>>> thread.  That doesn't help if you need to call remote URLs, though.
>> It requires a lot of work to mock the HTTP server. Besides, I need
>> some reliable mechanism to redirect the HTTP requests issued by the
>> test target (C++ application) to 'localhost'.
> you might want to either hijac the hosts configuration on the test
> system or just use a selective transparent proxying scheme

This looks like an interesting project:

     https://code.google.com/p/twistedsim/

TwistedSim enables the user to run his code in a reproducible network
environment.

It may be Python specific though.

Michael

http://www.voidspace.org.uk/

READ CAREFULLY. By accepting and reading this email you agree,
on behalf of your employer, to release me from all obligations
and waivers arising from any and all NON-NEGOTIATED agreements,
licenses, terms-of-service, shrinkwrap, clickwrap, browsewrap,
confidentiality, non-disclosure, non-compete and acceptable use
policies (”BOGUS AGREEMENTS”) that I have entered into with your
employer, its partners, licensors, agents and assigns, in
perpetuity, without prejudice to my ongoing rights and privileges.
You further represent that you have the authority to release me
from any BOGUS AGREEMENTS on behalf of your employer.