[TIP] Capture HTTP traffic

Alex alex.lavoro.propio at gmail.com
Thu Nov 4 09:03:38 PDT 2010

2010/11/3 Olemis Lang <olemis at gmail.com>:
> Probably I didn't understand your original question . If that's the
> case , please tell so that we can refine the answer .

I am writing the test of a C++ application. I have access the C++
source code but prefer not to alter it.

2010/11/3 Olemis Lang <olemis at gmail.com>:
> Fiddler : A really good proxy for dev-ing with scripting
>               support (Python ?) , pause , stop , replay ,
>               request builder, plugin system,
>               programmatic API ... for Windows
>               AFAIK (if you find a -multiplatform ?-
>               FOSS alternative please let me know)

This is what I am trying but not yet have a conclusion.

> wsgi_intercept : To intercept HTTP requests
> twill | mechanize : For high-level HTTP commands (and more ...)

The target to be tested is a C++ application, so  Python tools like
wsgi_intercept, twill, mechanize do not apply.

> Integrating pycap is really not trivial, IMO .

That's why I am looking for some alternatives here.

2010/11/3 C. Titus Brown <ctb at msu.edu>:
> you could write a simple HTTP server of your own, and run it in another
> thread.  That doesn't help if you need to call remote URLs, though.

It requires a lot of work to mock the HTTP server. Besides, I need
some reliable mechanism to redirect the HTTP requests issued by the
test target (C++ application) to 'localhost'.

Alex.