[TIP] Testify

Olemis Lang olemis at gmail.com
Mon Nov 1 07:55:17 PDT 2010

On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 7:30 PM, C. Titus Brown <ctb at msu.edu> wrote:
>> >  Actually, the whole idea of
>> > "here's yet another Python testing framework, incompatible with all
>> > other Python testing frameworks" makes me sad.
>>
>> I hear you. It's fairly easy to transition from unittest to testify,
>> but that's not the
>> same thing as compatibility. However, I think it's pretty rare for a
>> project to switch
>> test frameworks or migrate tests between projects, so compatibility
>> between frameworks
>> doesn't seem that interesting.
>>
>> Testify is indeed Yet Another Test Framework, but more ideas is better
>> for everyone no ?
>
> More ideas would have been good, yes :).
>
> The ability to run tests in parallel, easily, is probably the most significant,
> but py.test has had it for a while and nose does it now.  I haven't used it
> myself but that's because I'm a luddite.

... IMO «the thing» is in the core ...

> So we have a bunch of nearly identical test frameworks, all with
> slight syntactic differences, all serving nearly the same purpose within
> slightly different constraints, with various levels of internal mungery.
> People keep on telling me that their framework or approach is better,
> or somehow rawks, but since they mostly decline to document this
> simply enough for me to understand, or seem to regard arbitrary design
> decisions and limitations as an "improvement", I remain unconvinced.

... if this means that there should be a minimalistic core from which
all other libs frameworks should be implemented , I like that idea .
But in practice, in my case, the fact is that I'm not very comfortable
with the std , and I think there are a lot of things that need to be
enhanced and even major changes be introduced in there (and
historically, from my perspective, I notice a lot of barriers to do
this ...). This means that the time I can dedicate to convince people
about taking one approach is better invested in forking and writing my
own lib . Eventually if someone likes it, will use it ; and if nobody
else does, I would, so that's enough to make me happy anyway .

> One more is hardly a catastrophe, I guess.

... or probably something relevant will happen .

> But I'm just a grumpy old man.  Not as old as Terry, mind you, but old.

count me, I'm the third one ...

--
Regards,

Olemis.