[TIP] suite, test_suite, load_tests ... Oh My ! WAS: unittest2 discovery / doctest integration?

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Wed May 5 05:01:06 PDT 2010

On 05/05/2010 12:53, Olemis Lang wrote:
> On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 9:27 PM, Robert Collins
> <robertc at robertcollins.net>  wrote:
>
>> Hi Olemis,
>>
> :o)
>
> [...]
>
>> load_tests is something that was designed after we hit the
>> limits of test_suite in bzr. As such its not surprising that they can
>> do similar things - but load_tests has less duplication (it gets the
>> already found tests, and can decorate or replace as it desires).
>>

> Is there any code snippet illustrating these limitations ? AFAIK&
> AFAICS I can do anything I want inside `test_suite` ...

How about reusing the same loader that is being used to load the module?

How about customising test discovery into a package?

Both trivially easy to do with load_tests - basically not possible with
test_suite. Additionally taking the standard set of tests for the module
and decorating / adding to it is trivially easy with load_tests (it is
passed in) but requires more code with test_suite (which has to build it
itself).

As an aside your previous email talked about the "existing convention"
and then discussed *both* suite functions and *test_suite* functions.
Basically there wasn't a single convention prior to the introduction of
load_tests (and *definitely* none supported directly by the TestLoader).

On the other hand if you still want to use suite / test_suite (or
anything else) then you can stay compatible with load_tests very easily.
Although the code to do it is *hugely* complicated:

def load_tests(loader, tests, pattern):
return test_suite()

All the best,

Michael