[TIP] wsgi_intercept and Windows

Olemis Lang olemis at gmail.com
Thu Mar 11 12:45:17 PST 2010

Hi all ! Do you remember this thread? It's very old indeed, but few
days ago I discovered the root cause of the problem (see details below
;o)

On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 10:57 AM, Olemis Lang <olemis at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 15, 2009 at 9:26 PM, C. Titus Brown <ctb at msu.edu> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> could someone out there with a functioning Windows install of Python and
>> twill please try running the attached script?  Olemis is still having
>> trouble with it and I'm trying to figure out if it's a generic Windows
>> problem or somehow Olemis' fault ;)
>
> Please, stop trying it ...
>
> I just setup a Windows VM using VirtualBox, installed everything from
> scratch and it worked.
>
> However I did the same thing yesterday in the «problematic PC»,
> installed all the soft from scratch, and still had the same problem.
> Nonetheless, even if I still have the same problem in that host, the
> problem seems to be very specific,

Well, the fact is that it seems that the following events took place
in that PC (cronological order) :

  - Windows installed and thus MS IE too
  - User (or someone ;o) configured proxy
  - Admin (or someone ;o) uninstalled MSIE but configs remained
  - Proxy stopped working

So every time I tried to do anything, httplib(2) | urllib(2) retrieved
the outdated proxy value (didn't know that was used to configure proxy
server :-S ) from
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
Settings : ProxyServer
and therefore I always got

URLError: <urlopen error (11001, 'getaddrinfo failed')>

... which is somehow bizarre (now that I know ;o) because I thought
that such errors were raised for failed DNS lookup (especially in this
case localhost & 127.0.0.1 were the target hosts to connect to), not
proxies . I suppose I am missing something .

Is that ok ? Should I create a ticket somewhere ?

Anyway, thnx Titus et al.

PS: I recently also had similar problems using HessianPy client and
that's why I decided to try once again and see what happened with that
PC ;o)

Hey Murphy ! Stay away from me !

:)

--
Regards,

Olemis.

Blog ES: http://simelo-es.blogspot.com/
Blog EN: http://simelo-en.blogspot.com/

Featured article:
On adding Hessian (RPC) support for Trac -
http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/simelo-en/~3/Vit6dRudChU/on-adding-hessian-rpc-support-for-trac.html