[TIP] Python Testing book review

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Tue Mar 9 11:06:01 PST 2010

On 09/03/2010 18:57, Grig Gheorghiu wrote:
> Here's a review of the book which resembles my own:
>
> http://mcjeff.blogspot.com/2010/03/review-python-testing-beginners-guide.html
>
> As a side note: it's very easy to be an armchair quarterback and
> criticize somebody else's efforts. I'd like to see some of the
> warriors on this thread try to write a real book, with real editors
> and real deadlines. See Tarek's message for insight into what it
> really takes to do it.

Writing a book is a *huge* task (but worth doing once...).

On the other hand Manning (the only publisher I have direct experience
of) invest a lot of time and effort in multiple reviews and passes over
by the editor. It means they take a lot longer to get books to market,
but they are much higher quality as a result.

The problem is that these days the market for technical books
(especially niche technical books) is tiny - and editors are expensive.

All the best,

Michael