[TIP] Guidelines for where to put tests & how to package them

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Tue Mar 2 12:49:28 PST 2010

On Tue, 2010-03-02 at 20:21 +0100, holger krekel wrote:

> (i am on low bandwidth and vacation, just a quick note)
> I'd appreciate it if we had a more general mechanism
> than a unittest TestCase and a test runner.  Maybe just a callable
> with some directory argument that is to discover and run the tests?
> After all there are non-python tests and non-TestCase tests these
> days and introducing a standard should be general enough for that.
> cheers & thanks,
> holger

TestCase can represent non TestCase tests, and non python tests - the
contract is very lean. I think its much better to have at least some nod
towards a standard programming API rather than a complete hands-off.

As long as the TestCase can be anything meeting the contract, rather
than 'must be a subclass of TestCase'; then I'm happy - and nose and
py.test should be able to thunk through trivially.

-Rob