[TIP] unittest2, distribute, and doctests

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Thu Jun 10 05:21:55 PDT 2010

On 7 June 2010 22:43, Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> wrote:

> Hey guys, I have a few quick questions about unittest2.  Apologies if these
> have been discussed before.
>
> Distribute adds the ability to run 'python setup.py test' by including the
> `test_suite` keyword to your setup().  What's the best way to integrate
> unittest2 and distribute to enable the former to do test discovery when run
> via the setup.py?

Note that I have now implemented a setuptools compatible test collector for
unittest2.

    http://hg.python.org/unittest2/file/11200ca25af1/unittest2/collector.py

As you can see it is very simple... :-) It will be in version 0.5.0 of
unittest2.

If you specify "test_suite = 'unittest2.collector'" in your setup.py, then
the distribute / setuptools test command (setup.py test) launches test
discovery (with the default parameters) from the current directory.

As it isn't configurable (making unittest2 extensible and configurable on a
per project basis is a task for after Python 2.7 is released) it is perhaps
most useful at the moment as an example.

All the best,

Michael Foord

http://www.voidspace.org.uk