[TIP] including (or not) tests within your package

Olemis Lang olemis at gmail.com
Thu Jul 29 12:54:24 PDT 2010

On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 2:34 PM, Michael Foord
<fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk> wrote:
> On 29/07/2010 20:29, Éric Araujo wrote:
>>
>> 0.02 €: As a user, I prefer not to have tests and extensive docs per
>> default. I like installing an OS and lots of useful packages on very
>> small hard drives/partitions. I’m biased, since I use OS packages that
>> are already built and tested for my setup.
>>

> Right - horses for courses. As a user it frustrates the *heck* out of me
> when a package doesn't include documentation, especially if I install it and
> then try to use it when I no longer have an internet connection. I always
> trust a package a lot more if it comes with tests, even if I don't actually
> run them...

It comes with tests but not inside the same package . I'm sure that if
somebody considers all the instances of Apache running public Internet
sites (restrict the scope, on Debian | Ubuntu ;o) the percent with
apache-doc installed will be almost 0% ... or is it that you use to
install apache-doc in each and every such server so that you'll be
able to read the docs when ... when ?

What's the difference between having tests inside the package and
having a separate pkg for that . I mean, in the end you'll always be
able to test it , and that's what really matters (or not ?)

--
Regards,

Olemis.

Blog ES: http://simelo-es.blogspot.com/