[TIP] including (or not) tests within your package

Olemis Lang olemis at gmail.com
Thu Jul 29 09:48:01 PDT 2010

On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 11:45 AM, Olemis Lang <olemis at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 10:10 AM, Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> wrote:
>> On Jul 28, 2010, at 07:36 AM, Olemis Lang wrote:
>>
>>>This is the typical situation of using tests_require (testing deps) vs
>>>install_requires (pkg deps) in setuptools . Packages listed using the
>>>former option are not installed after executing `install` command .
>>>This only happens if `test` command is executed and thay are not
>>>already installed ;o)
>>
>> Sure, the issue of additional dependencies getting pulled in just to run the
>> tests, can be an important consideration.  I'm personally (in the typical
>> case) okay with just installing those dependencies, but I get that there will
>> be exceptions, either because end-users don't want to pull in those
>> dependencies or for large packages, they can be really numerous or expensive.
>>

> Probably I'm missing something .

[...]
>  - If this is correct , then all *those dependencies* and|or
>    *large packages* (probably) *really numerous or expensive*
>    will be pulled in

sorry ...

  - If this is correct , then all *those dependencies* and|or
    *large packages* (probably) *really numerous or expensive*
    will be pulled in every time the whole package is installed .

--
Regards,

Olemis.

Blog ES: http://simelo-es.blogspot.com/
Blog EN: http://simelo-en.blogspot.com/

Featured article:
Soluciones Olimpiadas de Matemática IMO 2007 - Problema 4 -
http://soluciones-olimpiadas.blogspot.com/2010/07/imo-2007-problema-4.html