[TIP] including (or not) tests within your package

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Tue Jul 27 17:40:24 PDT 2010

Marius Gedminas <marius at gedmin.as> writes:

> Other than wasting a bit of disk space, what are the downsides of
> installing the tests [along with the rest of the package]?

They would thereby become part of the *public* interface for the
package. I don't want that implied promise; the test suite is subject to
arbitrary unannounced change or removal.

They're for use while developing (hence part of the source), not in their
deployed location (hence *not* part of the binary package).

--
 \         “In economics, hope and faith coexist with great scientific |
  `\      pretension and also a deep desire for respectability.” —John |