[TIP] including (or not) tests within your package

Marius Gedminas marius at gedmin.as
Tue Jul 27 05:37:20 PDT 2010

On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 01:32:20PM +1000, Ben Finney wrote:
> The trick then becomes management of the build script so that the
> install step does *not* deploy the tests. Which requires thinking of
> one's package as a package to be deployed, even though you're deploying
> it in source form. From that point, it's a matter of learning about
> Distutils and all the rest.

Other than wasting a bit of disk space, what are the downsides of
installing the tests?

For example, PyGame recently changed their distribution so the
tests get installed and can be run by any end-user with

  python -m pygame.tests.__main__

(I think it's just 'python -m pygame.tests' for Python 2.7 and 3.x)

Marius Gedminas
--
I'm a shareware signature!  Send $2 if you use me, $10 for a manual.