[TIP] alphabetical order in testing

C. Titus Brown ctb at msu.edu
Wed Jan 20 06:52:39 PST 2010

On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 09:12:29AM -0500, Olemis Lang wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 5:42 AM, holger krekel <holger at merlinux.eu> wrote:
> > Some way of telling a test runner to consider tests in a certain
> > order makes sense to me, though.
> >
> > In fact, I had user requests and own thoughts to allow declaring dependencies -
> > such that if a test fails subsequent ones would not be run anymore.
>
> Probably (I don't know the exact details ;o), but if the first test
> fails that (should ?) means that something is not right (i.e. behaving
> like expected) with the SUT .

Olemis, et al. -- independence of test order is generally considered a
requirement for unit tests, but not for other tests (functional, UI, etc.)
where it simply wouldn't make sense.

If we're going to be dogmatic, let's be specific in our dogmatism, too :)

> Anyway : be pragmatic ! ... and be aware of the consequences ;o)

I think we can count on Holger to be aware of the consequences!

cheers,
C. Titus Brown, ctb at msu.edu