[TIP] setUp and tearDown behavior

Alfredo Deza arufuredosan at gmail.com
Mon Jan 18 18:37:43 PST 2010

I am building some tests for a Python installer that copies some files and
changes some permissions.

Nothing weird there.

However, in the test class I am starting with a setUp that basically calls
the installer (so the tests can see if everything is where it should be),
this is followed by a few assertions and finally a tearDown is called where
everything gets uninstalled.

When running the tests with nosetests, I see that setUp and tearDown are
called for *every* method in my test class (e.g. installs => runs test
method => uninstalls ....)

Isn't setUp supposed to be run once at the beginning of the class? or is
this expected?

In case this is expected, is there a way to do it *just once *for all the
methods?