[TIP] Guidelines for where to put tests & how to package them

C. Titus Brown ctb at msu.edu
Sat Feb 27 12:07:21 PST 2010

OK, last message on this thread from me for now, I promise ;)

On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 12:30:30PM -0500, Olemis Lang wrote:
>   - Why not to use `python -m somepackage.tests` and that's it ?

Doesn't work if 'tests' is a package on 2.4, 2.6+.

>   - How would you implement flexible ways to run the test
>     suite like I mentioned in the previous msg if using `python -m` ?
>     (/me repeating once again ;o)

Not My Problem: defining a minimal convention is my goal.

> > if the author wants the tests installed and
> > available. Titus' suggestion meets this requirement; anything involving
> > setup.py does not.
>
> Q:
>   - This implies command line switches or other similar mechanisms
>      to install with or without tests ?
>   - `tests` package should be listed in `packages` ?

Carl already answered these; the short version is:

 - no, that's up to distro packagers (who already monkey a fair bit with
   Python); I want to define a convention for running tests, nothing more.

 - yes, by default.

cheers,
C. Titus Brown, ctb at msu.edu