[TIP] Guidelines for where to put tests & how to package them

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Sat Feb 27 11:37:54 PST 2010

On 27/02/2010 19:32, C. Titus Brown wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 07:27:34PM +0000, Michael Foord wrote:

>>> Aieeee, I'm trying to come up with a sensible convention BEFORE we bring
>>> it to the stdlib people ;).
>>>
>> We have different goals in this discussion. You want a convention that
>> can be used with existing versions of Python for pony-build, I am
>> concerned with enshrining a good convention in the standard library. For
>> what it is worth I think Tarek and I have arrived at a good solution for
>> this (see below) with the painful caveat that I have to implement it for
>> distutils2.
>>
>> I *still* think that pony-build would be better served by adopting the
>> standard library convention, and depending on unittest2 / distutils2 on
>> the client to do that. :-) I probably won't mention this again...
>>
> No, you mistake me: pony-build (and experience with other CI systems) makes me
> want to take it on, but I would like to have something sensible re testing in
> the Hitchhiker's Guide to Packaging -- which defines packaging practice from
> Python 2.4 onwards.
>
> So where our goals differ is that you want to define a new convention
> going forward (2.7+, 3.3+) and I want to document some convention that's
> "good enough"&  backwards compatible to 2.4.

I will strongly argue, and suspect Tarek will agree, that the
recommended practise for Python 2.4+ users is to use distutils2. That
way they can use the conventions that will just-work (tm) in future
versions of Python. distutils2 and unittest2 are both maintaining
compatibility with Python 2.4 specifically so they can be used in this way.

> [snip...]
>> With the load_tests protocol your test module or package (specified by
>> tests) can return a unittest compatible suite even if tests are actually
>> run under-the-hood with another framework. unittest will then only be
>> used for reporting results.
>>
> OK, this still seems a bit restrictive; as we've discussed, unittest is
> full of snakes that won't ever (or at least soon) be cleared out completely,
> for the sake of backwards compatibility.  So I'd like to avoid enshrining
> load_tests as a convention.

load_tests is already a convention. This particular hook allows you to
interoperate with unittest whilst avoiding most of the snakes. If you
have *specific* problems with this approach then I'd like to hear about
them. :-)

Anyway, regardless of whether you think it is a good thing to use it or
not this hook already exists in the new and improved unittest and we
certainly can't *stop* people using it this way if they want.

Michael

--
http://www.ironpythoninaction.com/
http://www.voidspace.org.uk/blog