[TIP] Guidelines for where to put tests & how to package them

Olemis Lang olemis at gmail.com
Thu Feb 25 09:30:30 PST 2010

On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 12:10 PM, Carl Meyer <carl at meyerloewen.net> wrote:

> So the requirement you're missing
> is that this syntax should provide a
> way for users to run tests on _installed_ packages (where setup.py is no
> longer available),

well that was not explicitly stated in the first message (remember
when I mentioned «If that's the only goal ...» ;o) , but I think I
didn't read carefully «Nonetheless we want to specify how to do it in
case people want to install them.»

I apologize ...

In that case

Q:
  - What's the benefit for having tests.run subpkg ?
  - Why not to use `python -m somepackage.tests` and that's it ?
  - How would you implement flexible ways to run the test
    suite like I mentioned in the previous msg if using `python -m` ?
    (/me repeating once again ;o)

> if the author wants the tests installed and
> available. Titus' suggestion meets this requirement; anything involving
> setup.py does not.

Q:
  - This implies command line switches or other similar mechanisms
     to install with or without tests ?
  - `tests` package should be listed in `packages` ?

> If you disagree with the requirement, cool,

No, no, it's ok for me. It's just that I skipped that part while I was
reading the page @ GitHub and was not mentioned in the message, and
not corrected when I requested a confirmation

;o)

--
Regards,

Olemis.

Blog ES: http://simelo-es.blogspot.com/
Blog EN: http://simelo-en.blogspot.com/

Featured article:
Free calculus 1.3.4 Download - mac software  -
http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/TracGViz-full/~3/O5E_yyBKv0U/