[TIP] unittest issues and development

Jonathan Lange jml at mumak.net
Wed Feb 10 03:24:34 PST 2010

On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 7:17 PM, Michael Foord <fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> For those of you interested in the development of unittest, I've just sent a
> couple of emails about future development. The first lists a bunch of small
> issues that need dealing with and the second about setUp / tearDown of class
> and module (a subject I know several of you feel strongly about and there is
> no *particular* need to revisit that debate...).
>
> unittest: shortDescription, _TextTestResult and other issues
> http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2010-February/097520.html

I like pretty much all of the plans here. In general I ignore
shortDescription() in favour of id(). Perhaps we should just deprecate
it?

> setUpClass and setUpModule in unittest
> http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2010-February/097521.html

That's a good summary of the current state of affairs. I can't tell
you how much I appreciate it that you are keeping us up-to-date, doing
work on the Python standard library's unittest, *and* are willing to
incorporate the best of what people already do.

> All the best,

You too. FWIW, I'll be at PyCon after all, and would like to be
involve in any testing BoF that goes on.

jml