[TIP] unittest issues and development

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Tue Feb 9 16:46:19 PST 2010

On 09/02/2010 22:59, Fernando Perez wrote:
> Hi Michael,
>
> On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 2:17 PM, Michael Foord<fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk>  wrote:
>
>> For those of you interested in the development of unittest, I've just sent a
>> couple of emails about future development. The first lists a bunch of small
>> issues that need dealing with and the second about setUp / tearDown of class
>> and module (a subject I know several of you feel strongly about and there is
>> no *particular* need to revisit that debate...).
>>
> I'm sorry I never filed this on the tracker, but when I tried I had
> all kinds of problems retrieving my password (emails never arriving,
> etc) and I must admit I just lost patience and gave up.  But in case
> you are interested, you're welcome to use the code we put into ipython
> for clean, unittest-based parametric testing (something nose has but
> which produces effectively undebuggable tests, while this approach
> gives perfectly debuggable ones).  The code lives here for 2.x and
> 3.x:
>
> http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~ipython-dev/ipython/trunk/annotate/head%3A/IPython/testing/_paramtestpy2.py
>
> http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~ipython-dev/ipython/trunk/annotate/head%3A/IPython/testing/_paramtestpy3.py
>
> we import them into our public decorators module for actual use:
>
> http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~ipython-dev/ipython/trunk/annotate/head%3A/IPython/testing/decorators.py
>
> Simple tests showing them in action are here:
>
> http://bazaar.launchpad.net/%7Eipython-dev/ipython/trunk/annotate/head%3A/IPython/testing/tests/test_decorators.py#L45

I can look at this after the current set of changes are worked through
but it I'm much less likely to forget if there is a tracker issue. :-)

> The code is all BSD and we'd be more than happy to see it used
> upstream; the less we have to carry the better :)

For code coming into core Python (anything beyond small patches anyway)
the author has to sign a contributor agreement and then license the code
to the PSF.

All the best,

Michael

http://www.ironpythoninaction.com/