[TIP] Automated Test Framework in python

Amit Uttamchandani amit.uttam at gmail.com
Sun Aug 22 18:48:26 PDT 2010

On Sun, Aug 22, 2010 at 07:11:24PM +0200, Nicolas Chauvat wrote:

Thanks for replying.

> If your problem is about managing the script in the sense of "writing,
> sharing, modifying, tracing versions", just use mercurial for the
> management part and an existing framework for the execution/reporting part.

That's a good idea, I will use a DVCS to "manager" the updates/new
scripts.

Right now, I don't have a framework that I am using. This is what I am
looking for.

> > So this is testing not for unit tests of the software but the actual
> > final integrated product.
>
> Forget about the difference between 'unit tests' and 'integration
> test'. If each of your scripts is a test, it makes not much of a difference to
> the framework that runs it if the test is low-level or high-level. The
> framework will only care about the result.

Understood.

> http://www.logilab.org/project/apycot

Site's down, couldn't check it out.

I've done some research and I really like Robotframework due to the
following reasons:

 1. I don't have that many test cases written yet, the keyword driven
 approach for Robotframework allows the other testers to write test
 cases in simple format.

 2. I can focus on writing the specific libraries that provide the
 functionalities for the test cases.

However, I am still looking around to see if there is anything else
that provides similar features as above.

Thanks,
Amit