[TIP] Test reporting in unittest (and plugins)

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Mon Aug 2 16:33:11 PDT 2010

On 03/08/2010 00:23, Michael Foord wrote:
> On 03/08/2010 00:14, Robert Collins wrote:
>> Michael,
>>      I'd *really* love it if you grabbed testtools, read up on the
>> TestCase.addDetail API and looked at the modified contract for
>> addSuccess/addError/addFailure/addSkip etc which is backwards
>> compatible, provides a rich medium for additional data - and we're
>> having *great* success with additional things building on this
>> foundation to include additional data automatically.
>>
>> As for test naming - I used TestCase.id() *everywhere* in the UI now,
>> the description interface is terrible as a machine managable
>> interface, and most of the automated workflows being built on test
>> frameworks want machine processing of data - see for instance
>> http://pypi.python.org/pypi/testrepository or
>> http://pypi.python.org/pypi/junitxml.
>>
>> I haven't read your plugin proposal yet, sorry - new role @ work has
>> me a tad swamped.
>
> I appreciate you're busy Rob, it's a common disease (I have a bad dose
> of it myself at the moment). It would be great if you could
> participate and provide some real use cases for, for example, custom
> outcomes. I have some real use cases from Jason Pellerin and also the
> real needs I described around test reporting.

Sorry - that came across more brusquely than I intended. This process
will go on for some time, so there is still plenty of time to provide
feedback and to ensure that the unittest2 plugin system is able to meet
your use cases (in this particular area and others). The API design in
this area will probably happen quite soon though, so if you are able to
look at it that would be enormously helpful.

All the best,

Michael

--
http://www.ironpythoninaction.com/