[TIP] Test reporting in unittest (and plugins)

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Mon Aug 2 16:14:03 PDT 2010

Michael,
    I'd *really* love it if you grabbed testtools, read up on the
TestCase.addDetail API and looked at the modified contract for
addSuccess/addError/addFailure/addSkip etc which is backwards
compatible, provides a rich medium for additional data - and we're
having *great* success with additional things building on this
foundation to include additional data automatically.

As for test naming - I used TestCase.id() *everywhere* in the UI now,
the description interface is terrible as a machine managable
interface, and most of the automated workflows being built on test
frameworks want machine processing of data - see for instance
http://pypi.python.org/pypi/testrepository or
http://pypi.python.org/pypi/junitxml.

I haven't read your plugin proposal yet, sorry - new role @ work has
me a tad swamped.