[TIP] Code analysis tools and Hudson

Nicolas Trangez Nicolas.Trangez at Sun.COM
Wed Apr 28 03:12:34 PDT 2010

On Wed, 2010-04-28 at 12:04 +0200, Arve Knudsen wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 11:19 AM, Nicolas Trangez
> <Nicolas.Trangez at sun.com> wrote:
>
>         On Wed, 2010-04-28 at 11:13 +0200, Arve Knudsen wrote:
>         > Hi
>         >
>         >
>         > Does anyone have any examples of integrating code analysis
>         of Python
>         > code with Hudson? We'd like to supplement our Python
>         unittesting with
>         > static analysis, i.e. linting. It'd also be interesting to
>         hear about
>         > which tools are popular for this purpose :)
>

>         I've been using the Hudson 'Violations' plugin with great
>         success in
>         several projects, using PyLint for static code checking.
>
>         PyLint execution was performed in a custom step of the Hudson
>         job.
>
>         More info at [1] and [2].
>

> Thank you very much :) Do you have any opinion on the usefulness of
> e.g. PyChecker versus PyLint?

I don't really use PyChecker. I do use PyFlakes integrated in my Vim
setup, since it's faster than PyLint, but in my experience PyLint,
although being slower than other code checkers, finds most mistakes (and
less false-positives), which is why I prefer it when running
'offline' (e.g. in a CI setup).

>         We use Nose's XUnit output as well (for which Hudson has
>         built-in
>         support).
>

> We also use Nose's xUnit, but I'm wondering how compatible it is with
> Hudson, since on the project status page Hudson reports "no tests" for
> the Latest Test Result. All tests were successful, isn't it supposed
> to say "no failures" (or something along those lines)?

Not sure, works fine here... Just make sure you point to the correct
location of the output XML file(s).

Nicolas