[TIP] Coverage.py 3.1 beta 1: Python 3.x and Cobertura output

Mark Waite markwaite at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 28 20:54:06 PDT 2009

I installed the most recent coverage.py on Windows Vista x64 with Hudson 1.325.  It ran the coverage report and parse the output with the Cobertura plugin.  My tests are quite simple (mostly tiny little unit tests, testing simple code on the other side as well).

I was already using nosetests for test discovery.  That required a few changes to make it work (either inside or outside Hudson).

Before coverage, I ran the tests with the command:

    nosetests --with-xunit

After installing coverage, I ran the same tests with the command:

    coverage run c:\Python26\Scripts\nosetests-script.py
    coverage xml

With those commands, I'm able to see percentage coverage results.  Unfortunately, the Cobertura plugin will not show me the source of the files.  In the coverage.xml file, the file name is listed as "test_add_atom.py", while the full path to the source file is "tests\libpdm\test_add_atom.py".  I have a suspicion that there is a way to tell the Cobertura plugin where to find my source files, but since this was the first time I'd ever used the Cobertura plugin for Hudson, I was glad to see it work at all.

Since I already have a script that performs repairs in nosetest.xml (the --with-xunit output file), I think I can easily extend that script to perform repairs in the coverage.xml file.

Thanks for a great tool!
Mark Waite