[TIP] while on the subject of unittest...

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Sun Sep 27 12:32:35 PDT 2009

Hi,

On Sun, Sep 27, 2009 at 12:27 PM, Michael Foord
<fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk> wrote:
> Mail forwarding with sourceforge? You're not trying to use the old (defunct)
> sourceforge bug tracker are you?

No, the new one, but it will only mail a password request to your
sourceforge email, which itself is a mail forward (that's how SF
works).  And for some reason, SF forwarding is almost a black hole, it
can take days for a forward to arrive, if it does.  I have no clue
what the problem is.

>> I should say that I have no special attachment to TestProgram at all,
>> and in fact all I'd like to have is, *in the standard library*
>> something to be able to do what I can get with
>>
>> - nosetests  foo
>> - nosetests --with-doctest foo
>> - nosetests --pdb/--pdb-failures foo
>>
>> where foo has reasonably flexible semantics to work at the
>> package/module/class/function/single-method levels.
>>
>> I use nose for that reason, because it lets me work quickly, though
>> nose is probably too much magic for the stdlib.  But anything you guys
>> are working on that can make this type of (IMHO critically necessary)
>> workflow possible within the stdlib, will only get loud cheers from me
>> :)
>>

> Well, I don't use nose so don't know the specific semantics of those. Filing
> individual feature requests on the Python bug tracker (not on sourceforge)
> will make it more likely:
>
>   http://bugs.python.org/

I'll do that.  Now that I see there's interest in improving unittest,
I'll at least file the requests.

Thanks again for putting energy into this, it's a really important problem!

Best regards,