[TIP] while on the subject of unittest...

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Mon Sep 21 03:55:07 PDT 2009

Fernando Perez wrote:
> If someone is improving it, it would be great if this could be cleaned
> up, in TestProgram.parseArgs we have:
>
>             if len(args) == 0 and self.defaultTest is None:
>                 self.test = self.testLoader.loadTestsFromModule(self.module)
>                 return
>
> and then later:
>
>     def createTests(self):
>         self.test = self.testLoader.loadTestsFromNames(self.testNames,
>                                                        self.module)
>
> So basically if you want to control how tests are created, you can't
> just override createTests, because parseArgs also does test creation
> (but only sometimes, depending on certain conditions).
>
> I think that parseArgs should perhaps only parse args, and createTests
> should only create tests, but I'm weird like that :)  For the case
> above, it could set a flag that createTests can then later use to
> decide what to do, but parseArgs shouldn't be doing test creation IMO.

That sounds like a reasonable request - although I'm marginally
unsympathetic to people who are subclassing TestProgram in the
firstplace as it is an abomination that should never have existed. :-)

At some point I'd like to deprecate TestProgram altogether and replace
it with something less horrible.

Anyway: http://bugs.python.org/issue6956

All the best,

Michael Foord