[TIP] HTML TestResult?

Stefan Weigand list at stefan-weigand.de
Sun Sep 20 03:46:54 PDT 2009

On Sun, Sep 20, 2009 at 09:50, Robert Collins <robertc at robertcollins.net> wrote:
> On Sat, 2009-09-19 at 10:34 +0200, Stefan Weigand wrote:
>> You could try a XML TestResult (xUnit style) and then convert the
>> result using xslt (or the Ant junitreport task) into a HTML result.
>
> Right - in fact I announced pyjunitxml here recently which can generate
> JUnit XML output (CPPUnit's XML output is different, I'm not sure there
> really is a xUnit XML output :P). I was kindof hoping to avoid
> double-handling :).

You are right, there is no fully defined and standardized schema for
junit-like xml test result output. I found a schema referenced by
noseXUnit [1]. As every testing framework, which does xml output, does
it in a different way, most use this testsuite, testcase structure. If
there are some additional attributes or not it should not matter for a
xslt transformation.
I prefer the xml output and a transformation into html as it provides
more flexibility. You are also able to compile different reports
showing different aspects (like a summary report for management use
and detailed reports (even by component) for deviation report for
development.

[1] http://jra1mw.cvs.cern.ch:8180/cgi-bin/jra1mw.cgi/org.glite.testing.unit/config/JUnitXSchema.xsd?rev=HEAD&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

Stefan.