[TIP] continuous integration - what are you using?

Arve Knudsen arve.knudsen at gmail.com
Fri Sep 4 04:11:13 PDT 2009

Hi Noah

On Sat, Aug 29, 2009 at 9:58 PM, Arve Knudsen <arve.knudsen at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 29, 2009 at 9:27 PM, Noah Gift <noah.gift at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On Sat, Aug 29, 2009 at 11:18 AM, Arve Knudsen <arve.knudsen at gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>>> This has been a very interesting/enlightening thread, great initiative :)
>>> At my workplace we write a mix of C++ and Python (mostly the former) for
>>> Windows and Linux, and Buildbot has proved very useful aid in our
>>> development process, especially since it catches a lot of compilation errors
>>> (typically code that compiles on one platform, but not on the other). I feel
>>> that making use of Buildbot has simplified our collaborative processes
>>> greatly, due to how it tends to nip problems in the bud. We don't extract
>>> any reports from the BB runs, apart from the waterfall view.
>>>
>>> Our slaves run on three VMware virtual machines at the time being. We
>>> haven't had this setup for very long, so we're still kind of getting to
>>> grips with it. We're also in the process of integrating it with Squish,
>>> which is our tool for testing our Qt-based applications. If we can make this
>>> combination work properly for us, I will be quite content :]
>>

>> Thanks to the tip from Paul earlier, we are evaulating Squish too, and
>> will be interested in integrating it with buildbot.  I would be interested
>> in hearing more about how your doing your Squish testing with buildbot.
>>

> Basically, it just boils down to running Squish in batch mode, as a BB
> step. I haven't got it working yet though, due to Windows intricacies
> (Windows is the most interesting platform for us, so I am concentrating my
> efforts on this) regarding services and interactivity. I am going to try to
> run the Squish server in a service that is allowed to interact with the
> desktop (the BB slave service is not), and see how it goes.

Since last time I've found out that it doesn't work very well run Squish
tests from a Windows service. The recommended approach is apparently to
instead autostart squishserver on logon, via a batchscript. It should then
be perfectly possible to invoke squishrunner from your BB slave, although I
haven't got this far yet myself.

On Linux, it's apparently quite possible to start squishserver from an
init-script, or maybe cron, but you have to make it use a virtual X-server
(VNC). This is however pure theory for me at this stage :)

Arve