[TIP] continuous integration - what are you using?

Doug Latornell doug at sadahome.ca
Thu Sep 3 09:42:32 PDT 2009

On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 5:25 PM, Doug Latornell <doug at sadahome.ca> wrote:

> > Likewise.  I switched to buildbot from a home-brewed Python script
> earlier this year.
> As Marious say, buildbot it powerful, but it was a lot of work to set up.

On reflection, I think I may have over-emphasized the difficulty or
inconvenience of getting buildbot set up.  Most of that came when I
started writing custom buildsteps to implement behaviours specific to
our CI process.

Installing buildbot and having it do periodic a checkout from the tip
of your repository, run the test suite, and report the results to you
somehow is pretty straight forward.  When you start adding
requirements things get more complicated, but that's natural, isn't
it?

In the context of "Make the simple things easy, and the difficult
things possible", CI is a "difficult thing", so there is bound to be
complexity in tools that do it.

Doug Latornell