[TIP] [Python-Dev] Possible language summit topic: buildbots

Jesse Noller jnoller at gmail.com
Sun Oct 25 07:10:31 PDT 2009

On Sun, Oct 25, 2009 at 8:48 AM, C. Titus Brown <ctb at msu.edu> wrote:

> [ x-posting to testing-in-python; please redirect followups to one list or
> the other! ]
>
> Hi Mark,
>
> a few bits of information...
>
> ---
>
> I have a set of VM machines running some "core" build archs -- Linux, Mac OS X,
> Win XP, Win Vista, and Win 7 -- that I am going to dedicate to this purpose.
> I am happy to give out remote admin access to a few people.  This
> infrastructure is also going to increase slowly as I build up my lab's internal
> network.
>
> I'm giving Tarek an account on my Linux box later today to serve as a build
> slave for Distribute.

Just to add to what titus said; I'm trying to price out a decent
Desktop machine with enough ram/disk/cpu to run VMWare ESXi and serve
a variety of virtual machines. I had planned on (ab)using the free
MSDN license Microsoft provided to get a variety of platforms up and
running.

The end goal (since I have excess bandwidth and cooling where I live)
would be to maintain this box as a series of buildslaves python-dev
would have near unlimited shell/remote desktop access to.

The nice thing about this would be that once the initial cost was sunk
for the machine itself, and making all the virtual machines, in theory
the machine could run a set of "common" virtual machines all the time,
with a set of virtual machines on standby if someone needed to debug a
less common problem.

Yes, this is a mini-snakebite concept. Right now the main blocker is
funding and time - that and I need to spec something that doesn't
sound like a jet engine ;)

jesse