[TIP] nose/py.test plugins

holger krekel holger at merlinux.eu
Wed Nov 25 01:15:22 PST 2009

Hi Ned, Ross, David,

On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 07:45 -0500, Ned Batchelder wrote:
> Ross,
>
> Thanks so much for taking this on.
>
> On the omit handling: it's very clear that I need to beef up how to
> control coverage.py's attention.  The current handling is simplistic.
> In fact, the current scheme doesn't make much sense: data is collected
> for all code, then at the end, a bunch of files are omitted from the
> report.  Better would be to ignore the files during data collection.
>
> In addition, I'd like to add a .ini file for coverage.py to control all
> sorts of aspects of its execution, including which files to ignore.

I think a coverage configuration file makes a lot of sense.

> So I want to make sure that these plug-ins play well with those (future)
> improvements to coverage.  I know this is a bit much to ask at this
> point.

A config file would help to eliminate tons of command line options from the
plugins and ease coverage moving on consistently.

Btw, I think that we could put all plugin code (for nose and py.test) into a single
file and setuptools-register both nose and py.test plugin entry points.

Btw2, Distribute offers the setuptools-API on Python2 and Python3.  Feel free to
"hg clone https://bitbucket.org/hpk42/py-trunk" for the setup/distribute_setup
i came up with.

> Lastly, I'm trying to get my head around how to unit test this plug-in code!

The test plugins do not have much internal logic other than glueing
test plugin machinery and coverage functionality.  So i think that
some automated functional tests go a long way.

Question: do you want to generally package the nose/py.test plugin
code with the coverage package?

Currently nose comes with a builtin coverage plugin (where David
just recently posted an update) and i guess this would need
to change?!

cheers,
holger