[TIP] Does nose support suite() method?

Ned Batchelder ned at nedbatchelder.com
Thu Nov 19 03:32:05 PST 2009

Ringo De Smet wrote:
> Hello Robert,
>
>> I'm curious why you are moving to nose, if you have a working
>> environment already. (And I mean no disrepect to nose by asking this -
>> I'm just curious).
>>
>> Separately. are you aware of http://pypi.python.org/pypi/junitxml, which
>> can also provide xml output but without being as either-or as xmlrunner?
>>

> Migrating to nose is not only done for it's junit plugin, but later on
> we will also integrate test coverage. Actually, the plugin
> architecture of nose was the main criterium for the migration, since
> it aligns with our Python test plans.

I think moving to nose is a great idea, but I want to clarify one point:
while nose has great integration with coverage.py, you can use coverage
without nose just fine.  If you run your tests today with (for example):

    python my_test_runner.py foo blah bar

then you can measure test coverage with:

    coverage run my_test_runner.py foo blah bar

I'm sure you have other reasons to move to nose, and you should continue
with your plans, I just didn't want there to be a misconception about
nose being a prerequisite for getting coverage measurement.

> Ringo

--Ned.
http://nedbatchelder.com